4.2 Family Justice Counsellors


Family Justice Counsellors (FJCs) are trained professionals who work with separating and divorcing people with the goal of helping them settle their disagreements out of court. They work to help both parties solve their problems.

Role of FJCs

  • Provide you with limited counselling services
  • Explain parts of the Provincial Court process
  • Help you fill out some court forms
  • Mediate disagreements between you and your former spouse
  • Help you and your former spouse plan a separation agreement
  • Refer you to organizations and people who can help

Benefits of FJCs

  • These services are free.
  • They specialize in the area of Parenting arrangements, Contact, Guardianship and Child support
  • They can provide you with information about the laws and court
  • They can help resolve problems quicker than a court would.
  • They can help you come to an agreement when you and your former spouse are having trouble communicating.

Drawbacks of FJCs

  • They cannot provide you with legal advice, only a lawyer can do this.


Before You Meet With an FJC

  • Make a list of the issues you need to discuss, in priority order, and the questions you want to ask.
  • If you need to pay child support, bring your income tax returns, notices of assessment from the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, and employment or business records showing your salary, fees, and benefits for the past three years.
  • Collect copies of:
    • Any court orders or written agreements now in place relating to your separation or divorce, guardianship, parenting arrangements, contact, and child support or spousal support;
    • Any protection orders currently in place; and
    • Any applications you have made for a court order.
  • Write down:
    • Your lawyer's name and phone number (if you have one);
    • The address and phone number of your children's other parent;
    • Any court dates (Provincial or Supreme Court) scheduled to deal with any of your family issues;
    • Whether or not you are currently enrolled with the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program, and
    • Where and when you met with a family justice counsellor before, if you did.
  • Make childcare arrangements for your children. Do not bring them with you to the meeting.


Finding a FJC

FJCs work at Family Justice Centres located all over the province of British Columbia.

Contact a Family Justice Counsellor by calling one of these numbers and asking to speak to a Family Justice Counsellor near you.


Vancouver: 604-660-2421

Victoria: 250-387-6121

Other BC Communities: 1-800-663-7867